Condon Family History
The ancient origin of the name Condon was found in the irishsurnames.com archives. The barony of the Condons is in the division of County Cork close to Limerick and Tipperary, their principal stronghold being the Castle of Cloghleagh, near Kilworth. They came to Ireland with the Anglo-Norman invasion and were a sept up to 1605, when David Condon was recorded as Chief of the sept. They were originally known as 'de Caunteton', this being the original Cambro-Norman form of their name. One of the family was a well known Fenian, Edward O'Meagher Condon, 1835-1915, an emigrant who became an American citizen. County Cork and Tipperary are the homeland of the great majority of Condons today.The Condon family crest (or coat of arms) came into existence many centuries ago. The process of creating these coats of arms began as early as the eleventh century although a form of Proto-Heraldry may have existed in some countries prior to this, including Ireland. The new more formalized art of Heraldry made it possible for families and even individual family members to have their very own family crest, coat of arms, including Condon descendants.